O'Neill Public School Libraries
How do you find what you are looking for? Take a look.
Evaluating Information Sources
Narrowing a Topic
How to narrow a research topic
Ideas to Get Your Wheels Turning
Possible Persuasive Speech Topics for 8th Grade
. Should we have more jails in order to prevent overcrowding and keep inmates in prison?
2. Should students have to wear uniforms?
3. Should college athletes be paid for playing?
4. Should state colleges be free to attend for in-state residents?
5. Should all American citizens have to complete a year of community service?
6. Should students be required to take a foreign language course?
7. Should marijuana be legal for medicinal purposes?
8. Should the voting age be lowered to thirteen?
9. Should the driving age be raised to twenty-one?
10. Should students be paid for having good grades?
11. Should illegal immigrants be allowed to get drivers licenses?
12. Should students’ textbooks be replaced by notebook computers?
13. Should students have to pass a basic skills test to graduate high school?
Should Americans have to enter the military for one year after high school?
15. Should food be genetically modified
16. Should high school classes be weighted?
17. Should girls be allowed to play on boy’s sports teams & vice versa?
18. Should teens be able to buy violent video games?
19. Should boys and girls be in separate classes?
20. Should teenage girls be allowed to get birth control without the permission of their parents?
21. Should our country have a universal health care program?
22. Should immigration laws be reformed?
23. Should the federal government recognize civil unions (i.e. gay marriages)?
24. Should people who download music and movies illegally be punished?
25. Should school athletes have to be on the honor roll to play in games?
26. Should music with curse words be allowed at school dances?
29. Should schools offer fast food options like McDonalds or Taco Bell?
30. Should cities offer free public Wi-Fi?
31. Should the government place a tax on junk food and fatty snacks?
32. Should people travelling in airplanes have to undergo intensive security screenings?
34. Should people be allowed to keep exotic animals like chimpanzees or tigers?
35. Should people be allowed to keep pit-bull dogs?
36. Should the city offer a bike-sharing program?
37. Should there be an ordinance citing people who fail to recycle $50?
38. Should there be an ordinance citing people who play music too loudly $50?
39. Should celebrities who break the law face stricter penalties?
40. Should larger passengers have to pay for two plane or movie theater tickets?
41. Should people have to get a license to become parents?
42. Should there be tougher federal restrictions for content on the Internet?
43. Should people be allowed to curse on daytime television?
44. Should sexual education be taught in public schools?
45. Should students be able to get free condoms at school?
46. Should students who commit cyber bullying be suspended from school?
47. Should corporations be allowed to advertise in schools?
49. Should more be done to protect and preserve endangered animals?
50. Is it appropriate for students and teachers to be friends on Facebook?
51. Should students have open campus lunch periods?
52. Should schools be allowed to count days in session for snow days when kids work online at home?
53. Should abortions be legal in cases of rape and incest?
54. Should the death penalty be used to punish violent criminals?
55. Should students learn about world religions in public schools?
56. Should schools start later in the morning?
57. Should the USA end overseas military operations?
58. Should politicians be allowed to accept campaign contributions from corporate lobbyists?
59. Should people with terminal illnesses have the right to doctor assisted suicides?
60. Should stem cell researchers be able to use the stem cells from aborted babies to cure diseases?
61. Should school athletes have to take drug tests?
62. Should professional athletes have to take drug tests?
63. Should high school students have to complete community service hours to graduate?
64. Should teens over 13 years be allowed into R rated movies?
66. Should scientists be allowed to test products intended for human use on animals?
67. Should unhealthy fast food products be sold with a warning label?
68. Should there be a tariff or tax on products manufactured outside of the country?
69. Should students or teachers receive money for scoring well on standardized tests?
70. Should everyone under the age of 17 have a 11:00 PM curfew?
71. Should schools with low scores on standardized tests be closed?
72. Should minors be allowed to drink alcoholic beverages in their homes with their parents’ consent?
73. Should students be allowed to drop out before they turn 18 years old?
74. Should alcohol manufacturers be allowed to advertise on television?
75. Should students as young as fourteen be allowed to hold jobs?
76. Should people who are caught driving drunk lose their licenses for a year?
77. Should students who fail their classes be retained and have to repeat the grade?
78. Should large businesses and corporations be required to employee a number of minorities proportionate to the population?
79. Should children in temporary living situations with 3.0 GPAs earn free college tuition?
80. Should gambling and sports betting be illegal or should the government regulate it?
81. Should children who commit violent crimes be tried as adults?
82. Should the government be allowed to detain suspected terrorists without trial?
83. Should the government censor internet content deemed inappropriate?
84. Should teachers have to wear uniforms or have a dress code?
86. Should the state execute dogs that have bitten someone?
87. Should texting while driving be illegal?
88. How much is too much with regard to texting and social media?
89. Should parents limit texting or computer use? and What harm is there in texting (addiction)?
90. Should cloning be allowed?
91. What should and could be done regarding human trafficking?
92. How does body image impact lifestyle? or How does the media impact body image? and is that good or bad?
93. Should factory farming be allowed in America?
94. Should children of undocumented immigrants be allowed citizenship status?
95. Should our welfare system have reform?
96. Is it necessary to be concerned about poverty in America?
97. Is social media impacting social skills?
98. Should students have social media limited by schools or parents?
99. Should presidential powers be limited?
100. Should violent children be tried as adults?
101. Should illegal immigrants have the same rights as citizens?
102. Should athletes be tested for performance enhancing drugs? Should they continue to be tested in the future (ex. Lance Armstrong)?
103. How serious is teenage drunk or distracted driving (texting/talking on phone)?
104. Should our government enforce gun control?
105. Should we be worried about global warming?
106. Are tattoos harmful?
From Mrs. Carson’s Class Website:
and added to by Michaela Braun 87+.
Narrow the topic:
Ask a Librarian
FYI: Check the Facts
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.